Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Flogging : Is it necessary?

The Nigerian mi owan,
I dey hail o!. I just read a story about a teacher that flogged his student until she passed out. According to her fellow students, it was 'only' four strokes of cane, so she was probably pretending. I also read some of the comments on that page and it seemed like the commenters had a divided opinion about flogging. For me in my opinion, flogging koda kobaje, it's not bad nor good. What do you have to say about it?
Muyiwa*!

The Nigerian says:  
Greetings to you too! I will answer your question, with a story.

I remember Jss3 green, our french teacher had this rule; for each question you failed, you will receive a cane. So if a student failed ten questions out of ten questions, they will receive ten strokes of cane. Seemed like a good logic to get her students to perform better in her class.  oh and she always announced our scores.

I remember she would arrange the scripts, according to our names in alphabetical order. We always failed at least one question in her tests so we were always expecting her to flog us. On this fateful day, she did not arrange the scripts, she just made us form a line. "Tiwa! nine over ten, give me your hand, taw!!!" "Yvonne!, five over ten, give me your hand, taw! taw! taw! taw! taw!".  and it went on until she got to the girl right in front of me. " Tonto!, four over ten, oya! give me your hand" "Aunty, which one, the left or the right?" "I don't care, just give me your hand!" "I said give me your hand!, taw! Taw! TAW!!" "MY EYE! MY EYE OO!!! SHE FLOGGED MY LEFT EYE!!"

Eh!?!! The whole class gathered around her. Aunty was confused, I remember she kept saying, "show me the eye, let me see the eye, I want to blow air into the eye..." before you knew it, the eye got really swollen. Somehow, Tonto left school early, and came back with her father. Her father was a very powerful lawyer.

It was very bad. The man arrived with some policemen. At first, our principal was forming "oh you cannot come into my school compound...blah blah blah" Until the man said, madam, if you don't step out of my way, I will arrest you too!. Princi, jejely comot from the gate o.

Long story short, the teacher was taken to the police station, she signed a paper saying that she will provide for the girl and pay all her medical bills, come and see Tonto demanding for boiled eggs every evening.  Needless to say, French teacher did not flog anybody again, at least until we left that school.

I know some people will argue that the girl was spoilt or she felt entitled, why did she call her father...yada yada yada..., or her dad did not have the right to call the policemen, but I will say what I always say, ' until you've been in a similar situation and handled it differently, You cannot point fingers at anybody". You ask "is it necessary?" I don't have a straight answer for this question.  I can't say it's good or bad, but "is IT necessary?" in some cases, yes, in others, no. But to flog a student until she faints? Ha! na wa o. 

Names have been changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment